Monday, February 22, 2010

Boast Poems

The Boast is a primary part of the Black expressive tradition. It is a part of our folklore, "Stagger Lee" and our music, "I'll take your Man". It encompasses the reality, perspective and fantasy of the author. Boasting is 1/3 statement, 1/3 wordplay and 1/3 competition. Our efforts will honestly reflect the thoughts and influences of our writers. As a medium of the field and the street, I have tried to change as little as possible to maintain the authentic expressions of our writers. What you may read here may seem crude and brash, however, that is the point. Boasts are meant to be hyperbolic, humorous and pointed.



Untitled

by Stephen Brown

Time to strap up and dominate
I have hands of glory
Just turn and say sorry
Running, joking, catching like Randy Moss
When I step on the field you can tell I’m the boss
Wearing #21 with pride
Running so fast when I stride
Jumping so high it look like I’m flying
Think you can check, now you know you lying
Running the route so clean
They screaming out, “HE SO MEAN”
A few more wins, then we going to state
You better get there quick, don’t be late
I’m just trying to make my mother smile
Give her a money pile that longer than a mile
I’m trying to make it to the pros
Of course there is going to be some lows
Touchdown, Touchdown that’s all you hear
When I step on the line the end is near
All ya’ll defenders soft like Pooh Bear
Catching over 300 yards
I’m so rich, I can buy you a credit card
I’m getting bored with this,,, yawn
It all started on the front lawn
Making your coach so mad
While we on other side are glad
You better get some more lesson from your dad
The crowed screaming out, “Go KNIGHTS”
As they say back in the day, we out of sight
I hit you so hard you going to see the light
You going to near a ringing in your head
You might think you are dead
You going to be on the bed rest
You not going to be able to study for that test
Sitting here laughing and jumping
While you over there crying and doing something
You going to try and take us to court
Saying we assaulted you of some sort
The judge saying its football
Just go on and lean on the wall
If you need a football player, you know who to call
I’m the first to do it like Obama
You will never be found like Osama
To you it’s just the game
But no, I don’t feel the same
You whole team is lame
Just sit back and smile like dame




I’m the Queen, I Get What I Want

by Aisha Onley

I be the baddest girl you will ever see
Best believe, I get all the _____ green
I don’t really care about other people’s well being
You better believe, I get what I want
So you that you know, I never gotta front

_____ come and go, flaws and all
Make the next girl _____ have to stall
I be feeling the these _____ eyes beaming on me
As soon as I walk through the door their hearts skip a beat
But, when I look up, they stare down at their feet
Hey, all I could do is laugh at them
Because they know I know I could have him

The _____ be hating off the “damn, she ugly”
But deep down the trying be like me
I know they hate when I speak with or be with their man
______ are lucky if they don’t see us holding hands

But these _____ are no better and even worse
They are trying to ride my saddle like a horse
They are jealous when I am with my shawty
But lil youngin had messed up teeth
These _____ are just so dumb
I could make 2 _____ dry hump

Your girl, look so good I am everybody’s commodity
Having any _____ lying to come see me
I snap my fingers and he’ll be here today
Can’t name a price nice _____ wouldn’t pay
Yeah, I might sound real cocky
But that’s what happens when _____ constantly stalk me




Untitled

by Zenobia Payne

Well you know my name
Not a stranger to the game
Always going to be Zee
No you can’t be the same

Carmel and about 5’8
Someone you can’t afford to date
Step out of the house unlock the gate
Looking fly, I’m that girl you love

Ohh! So flossy
Chick stay bossy
I’m going to be the queen
No matter how to shuffle
Never less than Louis on my duffle

You can call me the baddest
Cause your swagg is the saddest
You don’t have to lie to me
I’m what you try to be
To cute for ya to stand

I’m your dudes number one
Girl, but he not my man
But you my number one fan
So rich, you still in a recession
Your credit cards declined you
Sufferin depression

Chick you known as a 3 star
Can’t even afford your dream car
Pull up in my chevy Vette
Naw, you ain’t ready yet

Told you I was the queen, stay on the thrones
Short, thick, something like a red bone
your dude always on my phone
He aint never going come home

I’m the finest
Not your kind its
Life like Slick Rick
Like a movie flick

Got your dream house, dream car
You sittinin at the bar wish upon a star
Love to party
Fashionably tardy

Glitter, glamour, and lust
Got your man feelings bout to bust
Under all this fancy stuff
I’m a girl that is ruff
Not from the hood but the suburbs
Can’t rap but this rhythm is not for the lovers

Never been a hater, cause I’m the one
Not worried bout nothing, but having fun
Just remember that I’m the queen
Don’t care if I’m mean
Don’t try to imitate
Never try to duplicate
Yes! Fans I love you all
Haters keep hatin this doll




Untitled

by Timothy Burley

When I’m on the court,
It’s not a sport
When I dribble the rock
I make your ankles drop
When I drive the lane,
Your legs die on point
When it’s not a lot of time,
I tend to blow your mind.
When I pull up it’s scary
Kinda like Brent Barry
You’re not a challenge, you should stop it,
You try to pop it, but I block it.
When it’s 5 on Da clock, I tend to take the shot,
When I pause and I stop people’s eyes start to lock
The kid’s shot is like a bird, call me Larry
I might shake on Boo-Boo, on Carrie

Planters in your face
Come get a taste
Your minds on a race
But you’re in 5th place
When I’m on the court you always see me,
Just dribble down the court stop and take a deep 3
I’ma defensive monsta
Dribble, I’ll stop ya
You try to dribble down the lane
I’ll send it to the telapromter
I’ll make it from the line
When it’s not a lot of time
If a bum is dribbling the rock,
I might yell mine!

Like my gurl, my game’s fine
So just listen as I spit my rhymes
Come down the court pass the ball to Sheek,
My man dunk on 3 dudes, call him the freak
Or go the other way to pass the ball to Ish
When he shoots it always goes swish
But I’m telling you he better not miss
Cause, I might yell you messin’ up my assist
If I crap on your man he might smell like some ****
Then I’ll come and crap on you and you might get ******
If you ask me why I do it, I’ll tell you it’s my job
Then I’ll tell you boy stop slobbin on my nob
I know you like veggies, but it’s not corn on the cob
Leave you lookin real dumb, we’ll call you Bob
Sadly, I have to bring this rhyme to an end,
Cause, after I finish my career’s about to begin
So, when you are on the court don’t check me,
I am a duplicate of Ali,
I float like a butterfly sting like a bee,

Word!!




I Can Make You Fall in Love with Me

by Natasha Alston

Call me cupid, cause I got the arrow
The landing sounds like a sparrow
The bird sounds off, your heart beats
It goes a little faster as our eyes meet
Young girl, only seventeen
Nothing but a number, you know what I mean
I dominate a space
A smile comes to your face
There, it’s done
Yes, I won
You fell in love with me
It doesn’t mean your crazy
Your heart is steady racing
True love has you pacing
You want me to be your queen
The realist girl you ever seen
She got you breaking all the rules
Running round like a fool
Phone conversations are great
Even though, she don’t stay late
You take her out to eat
She like, he my treat
She’s into every fashion
But, she made you her passion
She got a lot on her plate
Getting ready to graduate
You start to diss your boys
All your exes making noise
She is thee girl of your dreams
But is she what she seems
Oops, I did it again
You fell in love with her then
I can make you fall in love with me
It was that easy
Come to find out she got a dude
You just assumed
that she was single
Ready and willing to mingle
Player you got played
She’s a monster another boy made
He made the girl cold
Now, she digging for souls
This is what a diss feels like
Spoken word, speaking the mike
Forget the girl, forget her name
She forgot you, what a shame
Man-eater, yeah she throwing you shade
What can you do now but downgrade
You fell in love with me
It doesn’t make you crazy



MISS CARRIE BABY

by Carrie Ginyard

I’m always in a pick-up game
Everybody scared that I came
It’s like 32, like magic
Dropping buckets is a habit
I think I want to play your dude one on one
Sometimes they let us girls win for fun
Cute pony tail in my hair
Another guy over there
Gotta make sure my lip gloss is poppin on the court
And if it’s not, the guys definitely won’t support
My dribbling and my cross over is sweet
You can tell by the way they all move there feet
I have been queen of the game since 9th grade
“MISS CARRIE BABY” is the name I made
Females get mad when I play their dude
I say, either have a jump shot or sue
I’m feeling really cocky
Sometimes when I shoot it shocks me
Just shot the icebreaker, we all need fur
Got dudes saying, bu-bu-burr, I’ma marry her
No time for relationships, cuz they make me late
I wish I can miss dudes like I miss court dates
I really love shooting buzzer beaters
It’s getting hot, who cut up the heater?
I’m almost so good that I can cherry pick it
It’s like doing 95 and I don’t get a ticket
All the females athletes, I’m taking ya’ll dudes
Oops, my bad, sorry gurlie gurls, you lose
I’m better than Shaq at free throws
No, this chick didn’t use her elbows
I make the game look so easy
Everybody trying to please me
I deserve to be with the pros
And even Candice Parker knows
You don’t need grades to play ball
They pay you to shop at malls
It’s like every time I step on the court
The people go running to the airport
I love what I do, son
When I do it it’s done
Beating me is like a failed mission
I think that’s the part you are missing
Even if the fame kills me, there is still no one above
Because, when push comes to shove basketball is still my love

No comments:

Post a Comment